Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Woman in Black

Without a doubt I love horror films. This in no way means that I am all tough and that I don't get scared. On the contrary, in recent years I find myself unable to handle the scary movies.  In my younger years I could watch any type of horror film with little effect on my psyche. But now, with the combination of my inability to withstand suspense and being beyond paranoid I tend to get frightened very easily. 
And still, I love horror films. 
Now the reason I write this is, for one to get my mind off the horror movie I'm currently watching, and mainly to discuss the film. 

1. The main character
Always, always the same. The main character is always the most courageous idiotic person in the film. You aren't suppose to follow the shadows, you mustn't stay past dark, and most certainly not start your own damn investigation into the happenings. 
Note: My doorbell just rang. And I almost cried, wept is more accurate.


2. Dolls/  Inanimate Objects
Such a sure way to creep everyone out without doing a thing. Oh hey, let's make a non-creepy moment and send shivers down everyone's spine. Dolls, clowns, toys that just start moving on their own, blegh. If I ever have kids they aren't getting one single toy. I will never be able to sit in a rocking chair again. Will always question if the doorbell is rattling on its own.  Monkey figurines disgust me. Musical toys make me want to throw up. Mirrors give me the chills. Doors that open on their own need to be burned. Do I need to continue?

3. Music
Oh the music always does me in, congrats to the sound guy because without him my nerves wouldn't be shot by the end of the movie. The shrills, the crescendos, the horrid chords. You make the stomach dropping moments of the film that much more horrendous.

4. Possession
Why. Just why. 

5. Children
The ultimate creep factor. Their innocence/naivete makes everything they say/do just unsettling.  Even doing normal kids things is creepy with the right musical chords. (Thanks again music guy.)

6. Angles
The hallway shot, the point-of-view around the corner shot, the creeping-up-behind-you shot, the hey look what the main character doesn't see but you do shot, the slow agonizing pan over everything shot, so wonderful. Horror movies are ALWAYS about the angles. Trust me. 

7. Anticipation
You know what's going to happen. They've made that very clear. You feel it in your gut. It isn't over. But still you have to sit through every second. EVERY SECOND. 

8. The End
Biggest problem with horror films, when the scary thing looks at you. Not in your direction but an actual, hey I know you're watching this look. I'm glad it's over. 


Though I must say, I loved the movie! So wonderfully done. But tonight just before I fall asleep my mind will think hey, do you hear that rocking chair? Thanks brain.

Now that that's done, what should I watch next?

[All photos are courtesy of Hammer Film Productions, and all those associated with the production of The Woman in Black, I do NOT own/claim to own any of the above photos]
I don't know if it is necessary to have a disclaimer. But I'm a poor college student. Can't take any chances.

1 comment:

  1. Watched it tonight too. Must say congrats to shooting director as well, they sure know their angles! With that little ending they have managed to make another movie out of it, not as good but sure as hell as creepy. Good to know also that Daniel Radcliffe can shift from the magical and virtuous Harry Potter to being 'that guy' who does everything in his power to get himself killed (unknowingly of course) such as getting the child from the bog, and even returning to the house after seeing her.... and then gets killed when you least expect it, like something out of Final Destination.

    ReplyDelete