Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Garden - 1 month update

I know you've been dying to know how my garden is doing, and I must say it's doing swimmingly well. Especially since the day after I planted all the seeds Arizona went into this freak cold spell. There were freeze warnings and everything. Go figure. But no matter it's Spring and things are finally growing. 
I took my hat off walking to work one day and surprise surprise, everything is green! It snuck up on me.  The semi-awkward angle was due to me trying to take a picture without anyone realizing I was taking a picture. For some reason I find it embarrassing if people see me taking pictures on campus. Don't judge.
Spring also means that the apricot tree in our yard is getting ready for fruit! Being all awesome and flowery. I digress, this is suppose to be about my garden and that is what it shall be...


Here is a little garden breakdown for you.
Garlic! If you love gardening and want to stop buying it, seriously plant garlic. It is quite possibly the easiest thing to grow in Arizona. I promise.
Celery! Another simple thing to grow, just cut off the bottom of the celery stalk in your fridge and place in your garden. Water and watch it grow!
Yellow bell pepper! It is still doing lovely. And by lovely I mean it is the cutest darn thing I've ever seen.
Oregano! These guys just started to pop up. Little fuzz!
Cilantro! I transplanted this bad boy and after the initial death shock it finally pulled through and is owning the garden like a boss.
Here is the cilantro I planted from seeds, just starting to get it's first cilantro-y leaves. Beautiful.
Thyme! Much like the oregano just some little sprouts breaking through.
And the lovely flowers on the side of the garden are also doing fabulous. In a few more weeks I hope to see flowers. Glorious flowers!
Tomatoes! I wasn't too sure they would pop up but wouldn't you know almost every seed has grown into a lovely little plant. Don't worry about spacing, when they become sturdy I'll transplant them into the ground, but for now they get to enjoy a little separation from the garden.

That's all that has popped up. Well that and some weeds, if anyone has a fool proof way to kill weeds please, tell me. Another set back is birds. Those lousy creatures keep eating little sprouts and seeds which means total heartache for me. 

So, I decided to do some starter pots and get some great little plants going before I put them in the garden. Take that birds!




Oh how I love Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment