Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Cookie Week Day 3 - Buñuelos

Keeping on this Spanish flavor I've got going, I thought why not show a more traditional Spanish treat? So... Ta-dah Buñuelos (recipe courtesy of Tasty Kitchen)! Now truthfully, I've never had one, much to my mother's dismay. When it comes to heritage and foods I usually shame my ancestors. 

Example. I was once given a stuffed jalapeño. I took one bite and wept like a child. 
Point made.

Note: My mother actually makes these bad boys a little differently but meh no big deal

But don't worry, Buñuelos have nothing to do with jalapeños. Just beautiful flavors that I suggest you make right now.  And yes I know they aren't cookies, but they are delicious so overlook it.
 Simple enough... Flour, butter, oil, eggs, salt, lemon zest and milk.
 Zest it real good like.
 Combine butter, milk, zest and salt in a saucepan.
 Once it get it almost boiling add the flour while whisking. Make sure to whisk well!
 But not crazy... then the flour will poof out everywhere.... Sigh.
 Next put the mix back on the stove and heat it on low making sure to get every side.
Take it out and let it completely cool... in the meantime go like Second Friday
 Once it's all cool crack the eggs one by one...
 And mix! I used my hands... I suggest this method.
 Now for the frying. Pour a good amount of oil.
 Spoon them on in.
 Make sure to turn them over to get a nice even golden coat.
 Ahhh beautiful.
And finally serve with honey! Or you can do powdered sugar. Or both!

Hope you enjoyed! Tune in tomorrow for the next cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment