Thursday, December 1, 2011

Let them eat Pound Cake!

My mother is sick! That is no bueno, but like the good daughter I am, I made her some delicious Pound Cake, recipe by Pioneer Woman of course.
Well, we didn't have all the ingredients, so I braved the harsh cold and the frigid wind to go to the grocery store and grab the ingredients.  And thus my adventure began...


 Cue the cast line-up. Flour, sugar, Sprite, butter flavor, lemon extract, 5 eggs, and butter pyramid (I was going to do an egg pyramid, but the epicness would be too much).
 Now you need to make sure your butter is softened, don't be like me and try and soften your butter fast by balancing it on the edge of the oven door only to freak every two seconds on the chance that the sticks would fall to their fiery doom. This lasted about 5 seconds, then I waited for room temperature to do its trick. 
 Then cream that butter, which is just a fancy way of saying "use a mixer until the butter becomes fluffy and soft".  Now the mixer I have has one speed. Fast. It claims to have 1-5 speeds, but it's a lie. It's just scary fast. A few times I sent butter and mix flying across the kitchen. It was awesome.
 Then pour in your sugar one cup at a time, mixing in between.  I feel I must level with you. I have a weakness for butter/sugar mix.  Had my parents said, " Hey Alixx, nevermind on that pound cake." You bet your buns I would have sat down with the bowl of butter and sugar and spooned it into my mouth. I wish I was joking. 
 Add eggs one at a time, mixing in between. 
Until it looks like this! Look at those mixer things in action! 
 Delicious time. Add butter flavoring, aka liquid gold, and lemon extract.  Note: As delicious as the lemon extract smells, do not, i repeat, DO NOT taste the lemon extract.  I almost cried from the disappointment. 
Mix it together and you get this fluffy and delicious looking batter... oh and in case you've been wondering, I have been tasting this at each addition. It is a NECESSITY. 
Next, add flour one cup at a time and mix in between.  Do you ever try and create a sandcastle-type design by getting the flour to keep the mold of the measuring cup? No? Oh, neither do I. That's silly. Pssh childish even.   Ahem, where was I?
Ah, add the Sprite, that's right, add soda to this batter. And don't do like me and add too much to the cup and then have it spill all over your hand while trying to take a picture with the other hand.  
It's ALIVE! It looks really gross, but mix it in  and it'll look even more delicious. And then you're ready to pan it up! 
 Now, I sprayed the pans quite intensely with some non-stick spray, and turned out I had enough to fill two pans, one not so much as the other, but still. 2 cakes.  
Now for the pouring! I utilized my fancy photo setting skills with my timer to get this action shot!  But don't be mistaken, I am not as perfect as you may think, no no, really I messed up the timing the first time around. What's that? Want proof? Well I aim to please...
 See! I only made it to grabbing the bowl. I hope this doesn't completely shatter your perfect image of me.  
Well, fill those pans up and put them in the oven... until you get this...
Well to be fair, this has been cut, served with strawberries, devoured, and otherwise nothing compared to what it did look like. But hey, it's my blog. I do what i want!


I recommend you make this in a bundt pan (which I pronounced 'butt pan' til the age of 21), and just make sure you butter your pan like crazy.


Other than that, Enjoy and make as soon as possible!


Oh and random fact, do you remember those cinnamon roll pancakes Kelsey and I made? (Check out Second Friday tab for that recipe) Well I made them for my sister the other day. But my brown sugar was hard. Which is problematic.  Just so you know I tried really, really hard to make a spiral. I just didn't give up. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment