Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Cookie Week Day 2 - Angel Wings

Hopefully you had a chance to make those window cookies. So good! 
   
As promised. Another day, another cookie recipe. 
  
First up, quick stroll down memory lane... on my first visit to Spain, I fell in love with the bakeries there. It didn't help that my great-aunt lived 2 seconds from a bakery, fairly positive I gained at least 10 pounds on that trip, but nonetheless I loved it.  One of the pastries I found there were these delectable swirly things... you may think oh! I've seen those! Yes you probably have, but my young mind had never set eyes on such delectable goodness.  So every time I eat one of these I immediately think of Spain.  So I was ecstatic to find a recipe for the delicious, the divine, Angel Wings (aka Palmeras). 
Line-up. Nothing too crazy here, though I was surprised to find out there was sour cream in the mix... but I LOVE sour cream, so it all makes sense.
 First, cube that butta!
 Then "cut" the butter into the flour, which I took to mean, use a knife and stab the butter. That got me nowhere, so I switched to a wooden spoon and held it for about 5 seconds until I said nah, and then bam used my hands. The main goal here is to make a course crumbly mix. Hands work perfectly.
Then spoon in some sour cream. I found the suggested amount was weak. So I added more. It was a fabulous idea. 
 Then roll it out and knead it just a few times, don't overwork it!
 Split dough into four and roll into individual balls.  
Wrap them, and then refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight).  
 Now I waited overnight and I think it was a great decision because the pictures look 10x better, thanks to fabulous natural light. Anyways, take out 1 ball of dough and cover every side with sugar.
Then roll it out.  You want to try and get a rectangle of 12"x5".  I made sure to flip it over every so often so that the sugar got on every inch of the dough. 

After this, sprinkle some cinnamon, don't be afraid to put too much, you can always shake it off later. I promise. (I apologize for the blurry picture I have no excuse for that)
 Then make a line halfway (hamburger style) in the rectangle and roll the dough towards the center. Looking good! 
Next, cover in plastic wrap (again) and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, this allows the dough to get firm and makes cutting the individual cookies extremely easy. Repeat this with the remaining dough and by the time you are done you should be ready to start the next step.
I forgot to take a picture of the cutting process, but just imagine me cutting the dough into awesome half inch cookies. Got it? Perfect. Then dip each side in sugar, make sure you coat them really good.... I know I did.
Then place them on an ungreased cookie sheet... believe me, with the amount of butter these bad boys have you don't need any cooking spray.
 After about 12 minutes in the oven, you need to flip them over to ensure an overall golden brown color. Mmmm it smelled so good! Make sure to keep an eye on them after you flip them because depending on how thin you cut them, they either need to cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes. What can I say, I'm not a consistent cookie cutter.
Ta-da! These were delicious. No doubt as good, if not better, than the store bought ones.  Seriously. MAKE THESE.

No comments:

Post a Comment