Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Hunger Games Trilogy - A Review

Alright so I did it. I jumped on the Hunger Games bandwagon. I just had to know what all the fuss was about, and well it's hard to describe my feelings towards the series. Let me talk book by book.... Warning: SPOILERS
The Hunger Games:
First book in the series and I personally thought it was one of the best books I've read. I was quite enthralled in the book, regardless if Gale and Peeta's characters are considered flat, whatevs I really really enjoyed the book. Heck I read it in one night. The concept was awesome and the book was, for me, so well written. It wasn't perfect for sure, my main problem being with Katniss and Peeta at the end, but overall 9.5/10
Catching Fire:
Second book. They say it's hard to make a sequel as good as the first. True story. This book frustrated me. Why? I really didn't like Katniss's progression as a character. The stupid back and forth between Gale and Peeta was pointless and it just had me starting to despise the main character. Which is never a good sign. But still, I had hope for the book, it introduced some awesome new characters, Finnick, who I adored because of the awesome relief I felt it gave to the book. Plus Cinna, one of my favorite characters was back. Then it all went downhill. Cinna was killed. Officially didn't care for the book. I didn't feel it was necessary to kill him. I don't care what anyone else says that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Then the confused Katniss with her sudden "Oh well guess Peeta will do cause I'm gonna die in these Hunger Games" was just pathetic. Blegh 6/10
Mockingjay:
Third book. Oh boy. This is my short summary. Peeta is gone. Katniss is with Gale, kinda. Peeta is not supporting the rebels, because he is obviously captured, which is hard for people at District 13 to comprehend. Katniss is confused, Gale or Peeta? Rescue mission to save Peeta. Peeta saved. Peeta attempts to kill Katniss. Katniss becomes moody about it. Mission to take over capitol, Peeta tags along. Boggs dies (Upset). Finnick dies (Infuriated). Prim dies (Livid). Then President Snow captured. Katniss realizes she's been played for a fool. Katniss kills Coin, not Snow. Katniss is bat shit crazy. She realizes she loves Peeta. Has all this time. They have kids. 
The character progression was... in lack of a better word, disappointing.  Peeta's loss of memory was ridiculous. Finnick's death was, like Cinna's death, such a waste. The whole love triangle was a joke, reminded me of Twilight. Oh and everyone's agreement that they should have a final Hunger Games with the Capitol's children was disgusting. Ugh. 3.5/10

So say what you will. I would read the first book again. Over and over because it was such a good read. But the other two? Don't hold your breath.  And to all the people who claim this is the next sensation like Harry Potter. Wake up. Go read the HP series again and slap yourself for such blasphemy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment