Wednesday, March 14, 2012

3.14 - Mini Mini Apple Pie

It's finally here! Pi Day! I must say, I've never actually had the chance to celebrate Pi Day, heck not even my high school math teachers threw a party or a pie for that matter. But regardless, I love pie and math (occasionally) so this day should be celebrated by everyone. EVERYWHERE!

Truth be told Kelsey asked me to make some pies with her, but unfortunately I couldn't spend my Spring Break in town. Why you ask? I've got school stuff to take care of. Sigh...

Anyways, Pi Day must go on! 
I made my own little mini creation... Mini Mini Apple Pie!
 Cast of characters: brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, corn starch, vanilla extract, sugar and braeburn apples and pie crust.
 It's all very simple. Add the brown sugar,
 Cinnamon,
 Sugar, 
 Salt,
And vanilla extract to a saucepan over low heat. (Don't forget to add the cornstarch at this point!)
 Now make sure you cut your apples beforehand. 
 You'll want tiny pieces, once done throw into the sugary mix.
 Turn heat up to medium and stir constantly, then put lid on.
 Next take the lid off and allow the sauce to thicken. Once thick, allow to cool to room temperature.
 Once almost cooled, spray a mini muffin tray with cooking spray.
 Then cut out some circles from the pie crust (I didn't get fancy like Kelsey, just some plain ol' store bought crust. But I probably should have because that crust looked delicious!)
 Form carefully into the tray.
 Fill them with the apple mix and begin to be fancy with the upper crust. 
 But don't forget to put a dab of butter before you add the lattice pie crust.
 Once done, whisk an egg...
 With COLD water. This is the egg wash that you'll now spread over the top.
 Sprinkle with sugar and place in the oven.
 Yum Yum! All done. Not too many things smell better than a baking pie.
 How cute!
So many mini mini pies!


Mini Mini Apple Pie
  • 4 braeburn apples
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • I tablespoon of corn starch
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon of cold water

  1. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and corn starch in a saucepan oven medium heat. Stir constantly and cover.
  2. Cut apple into very small slices and stir in. Continue to stir and turn heat to medium for about 10 minutes.
  3. Take lid off, reduce heat to low and allow sauce to thicken. 
  4. After 5 minutes take off of heat and allow to reach room temperature.
  5. Preheat oven to 425.
  6. Spray mini muffin pan with baking spray, generously.
  7. Cut pie crust and form carefully into pan.
  8. Spoon apple mix into the crusts, apply a dab of butter on top and cover with excess pie crust. (Get fancy with it!)
  9. Create egg wash by whisking 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of cold water and brush over the top of the pies.
  10. Sprinkle the pies with sugar.
  11. Place in the oven for ~15 minutes. 
  12. Allow to cool and remove and enjoy!
Happy Pi Day!

Update: If you are in the Fall mood I suggest to check out my Mini Mini Pecan Pie recipe!

2 comments:

  1. OMG I'm doing this! Pies are good but not easy to serve and this would be great on a pretty platter. Can do with any pie too! Here I go this weekend! Cherry, Raspberry, pumpkin??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are perfect for serving! Bite size and no cutting required! I even did this with pecan pie, one of my favorites! Good luck with your baking adventures!

      Delete