Friday, May 18, 2012

Picadillo

So back during graduation time, I decided to make some Cuban food for Kelsey when she drove down to Tucson.  I've wanted to cook some Cuban food for a while because I knew Kelsey would love it. Or at least I hoped she would. Our friendship depended on this one fact.

Now I'm no master of Cuban food, my mother and Abuelo are of course, so I thought I could make this meal with no problem since I'll be able to ask a million questions while cooking.

As soon as I started to get into cooking mode both my mother and Abuelo decided to go shopping. I panicked. How do I brown meat? How do I mince garlic? How do I turn on the stove? How do I breathe?

Don't worry, this story has a happy ending.
Cast of characters: Pepper, salt, green bell pepper, garlic, onion, tomato sauce, tomato paste, white cooking wine, garlic powder, ground beef (not pictured: olive oil, green olives, and raisins).
 First things first, dice up some garlic. I apologize for my shadow on the cutting board. I also apologize in advance for the weird colors my camera and this kitchen throw out. Sigh. 
 Throw that garlic in a pan with some hot olive oil (medium heat should do) and get cooking! 
 Then you're going to want to dice up the onion. Now I was in no mood to weep so I used a food processor to cut up my onions.  Unfortunately for me when I opened up the sucker the smell immediately brought tears to my eyes.
Coincidentally at this same moment the epic part of "I Stand Alone" by Steve Perry began to play on Pandora. I gave in to the moment, sang at the top of my lungs with onion tears falling down my face and of course dramatically acting out the song. 


I'm so glad I was home alone.
 Anyways, throw the onions in with the garlic and cook them until they get glassy... clearish... translucent.
 Cut up the bell pepper, in whatever size bits that make your heart flutter.
 Toss in with the onion and allow it to cook for a few minutes. 
 At this time add the tomato sauce...
 Tomato paste...
 And then fill the tomato paste can with the cooking wine. 
Swish around and pour into the mix.  Reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally.
 While that is cooking, brown your meat, seasoning with garlic powder, pepper and salt.  This is really to taste but don't go too crazy now. Also, if the meat is very fatty you are going to have to drain it, a little fatty juice is good, too much will make it taste blegh. 
 Once the meat is good to go throw it in with the tomato/veggie mix and throw in the olives.
Note: Make sure the olives have no pits. You can break a tooth crunching into one of those bad boys.
 Then throw in the raisins. Now for all those who are opposed to raisins in food, you really can't skip out on this, it simply doesn't taste the same. Trust me I am not a huge raisin fan, but this is delicious.
 Looking good. Now keep it on low and just cook long enough to get the raisins nice and plump.  Also, if you are going to keep it on the flame for some time add some water so it doesn't get too dry.  The consistency of the meal shouldn't be soupy but there should be enough of the juicy stuff to have with some rice.
Nom nom nom! You must serve this with rice. Your soul with thank you. Oh and if you were wondering, Kelsey enjoyed the meal. She told me it was the best thing she ever tasted. EVER. 


Alright, slight exaggeration, but she really did like it.


Picadillo
  • 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, cut to desired size
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 1 can (tomato paste can) of white cooking wine
  • 2 lb. of ground beef, lean
  • Garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of olives, pitted
  • 1/2 cup raisins

  1. Mince up the garlic and add to large pan with about a tablespoon of hot olive oil. Allow to brown.
  2. Add the diced onion, mix and allow the onions to get translucent.
  3. Add in the green bell pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add the can of tomato sauce, tomato paste and the cooking wine to the veggies. Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally.
  5. Meanwhile, take the ground beef and brown, season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
  6. Once browned add the the tomato/veggie mix and mix well.
  7. Add in 1/2 a cup of olives (go ahead and add a little of that olive juice too!) and the raisins and stir to combine.
  8. Keep over low heat, adding water to keep from drying out, until raisins are plump (about 20 minutes)
  9. Serve with rice and fried plantains!

No comments:

Post a Comment