Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving! - Prep

Thanksgiving time! Know what that means, turkey time! Now I, myself, am not a huge turkey fan.  In fact, I try and avoid for 364 days of the year. But for that one day, turkey and I are buddies. 


Like any family, we've got our own traditions... The first one, watching the Little Mermaid.


Silly? No. It all started when we first moved to Mesa. I was a wee child and my father informed me that if I got up early, I could help him with the turkey.  I went to bed in a state of euphoria, but then it hit me. What if my alarm doesn't go off? What if I just roll over? What if ..... ?! 
Simply terrified that my father would start the cooking of the turkey without me, I got out of bed and slept at the head of the stairs. Just to make sure. It worked and I got up to help him cook the bird and we decided to put on a movie (probably to keep me from asking silly childish questions). I put on the Little Mermaid, and every year since then, we've watched the Little Mermaid. And yup, we watched it again this year. 


Tradition Two:
After my dad and I prepare the turkey and put it in the oven, we always go out to breakfast. Just the two of us. A little treat for our hard work.  Again this year was no exception, we found ourselves at IHOP and boy did we enjoy it.


So on to the cooking. 
Stuffing
Now my dad makes delicious stuffing! First things first, roll call
Pumpkin pie is making an early appearance. BAD PIE!
Chop up your bread into squares. He usually just tears them up, but this year things got a little more precise.

Add some sliced almonds and slivered almonds.... we added about half the bag of each. It'll be a nutty Thanksgiving!
Addition of sage is required (my father did an excellent job of posing). 
Finally add a can of evaporated milk and mush together with your hands til you get something like this!
Turkey Dome
Now make sure you've got your turkey ready to stuff, should I have perhaps put this before the stuffing making? Probably. Am I going to change it? Nope.
Creator of the turkey dome getting aluminum all wrapped up and prepared
Before....
After! This turkey has been stuffed with glorious butter and stuffing. All ready to get into the oven!
Oooh YEAH. 


Pumpkin Pie
For this I wanted to make a completely from scratch pie but my mother wasn't on board. BOO. So we just used the simple pumpkin pie mix, now I know most everyone knows how to make pumpkin pie, so no need for superfluous writings on my part. So feast your eyes on a picture trail of my making...






 


Three-Bean Salad
Simple. Three beans. Italian dressing. Onions. Bowl. Chill. Success.

The rest of the family was getting ready for some Black Friday business. 
Budi wants in on the action... Or he just wants to play ball. Maybe a little of both. Or maybe he wants me to clean the glass. Guess I'll never know.

Still cooking but check in later for the feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment