Friday, October 21, 2011

UofA vs. UCLA

So I'm somewhat of a football fan. And by somewhat I mean I freaking love it! I was practically born knowing about football, my parents taught me the calls just as soon as I could function. No joke. 

I've got video of me in a diaper doing an off-sides call. You ain't got nothing on me. 

That being said, college football is the best! Which is why I was lucky enough to get season tickets for the University of Arizona! 
Yup Kelsey is an ASU fan and I'm UofA, this site is pretty much a house divided
Now if you've followed the Pac-12 at all, you may know UofA is having a rough year. Let me list the few things I see going wrong:
  • We don't have a consistent good kicker
  • Foles isn't consistent
  • Defense looks like a bunch of limp noodles
  • Our kicker can't make the extra point
  • Our quarterback has zero coverage
  • WE DON'T HAVE A KICKER
So all that led to our current state of 1-5 (0-4 in the conference). Not quite the season I was hoping for. And apparantly this ticked off some people with power and wouldn't you know our head coach got fired. Yup. So defensive coordinator was announced as interim head coach. Oh, and our punter got bumped up to starting kicker.


To put it mildly, I was skeptical.


All that changed last night. Oh glorious night.
This was right at the start of halftime.... I just barely missed a photo of my new love (aka the Kicker)
We played UCLA, who (spoiler alert) had they won, would have been tied with ASU for first in the Pac-12 South division, and things started off with a bang!

Within 2:13 we had scored a touchdown.... Then we made the extra point. 
Then another touchdown.... and again the extra point.
 This screen is massive, I believe it's the second largest in collegiate sports. Plus it's HD. Tuition money at work.
Next thing I knew the score was 21-7, and I had fallen in love with this nameless kicker.  
Now I know it seems so trivial. The extra point. Everyone is suppose to make that. It's suppose to be guaranteed.  But not for UofA.  We've had a curse of poor kicking for quite some time, so when an extra point is made, it actually receives more cheers than the touchdown.  
Foles handing off the ball for our fourth touchdown.... I could be mistaken
So then there was another touchdown + point, followed by another touchdown + point followed by yet another touchdown + point. Which left our halftime score at 42-7.  Which means our kicker was 6/6 and by this time I knew his name. John Bonano! 

Things got crazy right before half. There was a ref... well I thought he was a ref, til he ripped his clothes off and ran about the field. I was in shock. Then, while the streaker was brought to the ground by 3 police officers, a brawl ensued between UCLA and us. Two players got ejected. Then bam half-time.

Now Kelsey wasn't lying in her post, we are huge band nerds. So of course I snapped some photos of the half-time entertainment. I love marching band. 
 First they did their own little park-and-bark.....(notice the cymbal on the far right was dancing, I enjoyed that)
 Then mariachis came! Gee whiz. Football, marching band, mariachis and Mexican dancers. What more could I ask for?

Alright well I won't go on to break down the game play-by-play because 1) I am no ESPN correspondent and 2) I left my sm card at home so I was very limited to the amount of pictures that could be taken. So to sum it up we ended up wining 48-12! Our first conference win!

Oh and John Bonano kicked two field goals. One was 41 yards. Where has he been all my life?

What football game is complete without the in-game snackage?
Noodles. I loved them so much I forgot to take a picture when I first got it. There was a lot more veggies. Oh it was good.
Mom and sister enjoying a tub of popcorn! 
Overall such a great game. Great way to get the crowd and fans pumped about the remainder of the season.  I can't wait til November 19th. That's when ASU and UofA square off.  And I hope UofA crushes ASU in their own stadium. Sorry Kelsey, but you picked the wrong team to cheer for! 


(Disclaimer: Any and all trash talking is fictional and made for the sole purpose of entertainment. Kelsey's my best friend, no matter where her collegiate loyalties lie)

No comments:

Post a Comment